Four on the Floor
Episode 5 | Official Trailer
“Four on the Floor” gives a look at rhythm in music, the pulse that stirs our senses.
About the Episode
If the vocal track is the heart of a song, the rhythm track––the beat––is its body. It is the sonic element that taps into the most primal part of us and makes us want to move. "Four on the Floor" breaks the beat down, and examines the endless experimentation that has taken place in its core, the very bedrock of all music. Charting the progression of the beat from drum and bass to beatbox and beyond––from Little Richard and James Brown to disco and EDM.
- Producers The Dream and Tricky Stewart talk about writing and recording Beyonce’s “Single Ladies”
- James Brown and his use of rhythm
- The Disco Era: Chic, Donna Summer, and the Bee Gees
- Post Disco: Blondie, Madonna and the sounds of the 80s
- The rise of Electronic Dance Music
Four on the Floor Playlist
Please sign into your Spotify account to stream this Soundbreaking playlist. | pbsofficial on Spotify